Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Primal Blueprint Cookbook

By Mark Sisson and Jennifer Meier

Since reading Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat back in January (you can see my post on it here) I've been experimenting with low-carb eating. Thus far I've really enjoyed it, which is pretty shocking since I love bread and sweets. I've found I can eat a whole lot of food without having to count calories or fat, and I rarely have to exercise.

Searching the internet for more low carb information I came across Mark's Daily Apple, a website run by former athlete Mark Sisson. The site is packed with information on fitness, low carb foods and the "primal" lifestyle. Basically, eating primal means you eat lots of veggies and fruit (that are low in carbs/starches/sugars) as well as lots of animal products (meat/ fish/fowl) while staying away from processed foods (and sauces).

Thus far I've really enjoyed the book and the variety Sisson provides. He includes snacks and deserts as well as a whole section devoted to sauces and dressings. I recently made his Primal 57 Ketchup and was shocked at how good it tasted. Overall a good cookbook if you're interested in trying to eat healthier.

I'm also currently reading his book The Primal Blueprint and will post a review once I'm done.