Thursday, April 21, 2011

Persepolis: The Story of A Childhood

By Marjane Satrapi

This is one of those books I've always wanted to read, but never really got around to picking it up whenever I happened upon it. The main reason I never read Persepolis before is mostly because I was wary of it being a graphic novel. I've never tried reading a graphic novel, partly because I'm a purist and don't consider them to be "real" novels and partly because it seemed like a highly specialized interest.

I'm glad I ignored my misgivings and purchased this book when I did. In fact, once I started "reading" I finished it within a single day. Unlike other graphic novels which tend to veer closer to comic books, Persepolis an autobiography of Satrapi's life during the Islamic Revolution in Iran. With her stark yet comical drawings she is able to depict the totalitarianism that begins to take over her country. I knew a little about the Islamic Revolution before reading Persepolis, but Satrapi's graphic depictions brought me closer to understanding the average Iranian's life during that time.

Only 9 years old when the revolution begins, Satrapi grows up to become a rebellious teenager, purchasing Nike's and Michael Jackson albums on the black market. Realizing she is putting herself in danger, her parents urge her to move to Vienna for school. The story ends with Satrapi boarding a plane, knowing she may never see her family or her homeland again.

Luckily, Satrapi picks up her tale in Persepolis 2: The Story of A Return.